Moore Family Building

426 15th Ave East

1904

The Moore Family Building was initially constructed in 1904. Over its long life it has hosted a multitude of varied and different retailers. The marquee corner shop was listed as the Capitol Hill Market in a 1929 issue of the Seattle Times and as the Oxford Meat Market in 1934. By 1936 new occupants had moved in: Jamieson Drugs, Child’s Hardware, featuring Pittsburgh Paints, and the Professional Permanents hair salon.

416 15th Ave East

1944/1956

The portion of the building that now houses a QFC grocery store was constructed in 1944. It operated as a “Price & Stephens” Moore’s Food Store. By 1956, the Price & Stephens grocery store had become a Thriftway, while the building to the south had been demolished to make room for a parking lot.

Capitol Hill Drugs

1966

By 1966, the once small corner drugstore had become Capitol Hill Drugs and grown to take over much of the store frontage. The hair salon remained on the right. Unfortunately, some time between 1956 and 1966 the building underwent a modernization, erasing its facade’s architectural charm.

QFC on 15th

1964

In 1964, QFC took over the grocery and expanded the building to its current size- roughly 19,000 SF.

Hunters Capital Ownership

2017

In May 2017, Hunters Capital acquired the Moore Family Building complex. Tenants include the 19,000 SF 15th Ave QFC; Take 2, a fashion boutique; ShopRite, a small hardware store; Rudy’s Barbershop; and seven residential apartments. The 37,800 SF property is centrally located on one of the most desirable retail corridors on Capitol Hill – 15th Ave E. This corridor has long been an economic base for small business and local retail for central Seattle. The area boasts some of the most popular businesses on the Hill, such as Coastal Kitchen, Victrola Coffee, The Wandering Goose, and Ethan Stowell’s Rione XII. The site has a walk score of 91, bike score of 97, and transit score of 72.

Information and photos gathered from Seattle Before & After.